Your next writing assignment is to write a comparison essay. As always, the topic is up to you. But select a topic that can be explored in adequate depth and breadth for you to write a coherent, intelligent essay of at least 800 words. The ideas in your essay will be organized in a precise manner, either the block method or the flip-flop method. We will learn more about those patterns during this unit.
Your essay will be graded on the following:
- A controlling idea in the introduction that states the two topics being written about and the direction of the essay
- Ideas organized in either block or flip-flop method
- The use of specific details to support each topic explored
- The use of transition words to point out similarities or differences, or to repeat key phrases or structures
- A conclusion that ends the paper with a sense of finality, summarizing the major points or commenting on the major ideas proven in the paper
- The use of varied, powerful sentence structure
The rough draft of this essay will be due Tuesday, Dec. 4. The final draft will be due Thursday, Dec. 6.
Note: As with most of the assignments this year, this idea comes from the Stack the Deck writing program. Thank you.