At the conclusion of this course, students will be able to:
- Write a compelling, effective essay to submit as part of a college application
- Identify strengths and weaknesses of a typical college essay
- Develop strategies to revise and improve a college essay
To get started, let's look at what some colleges may be asking in an application essay. Below are the essay questions on the common application:
- Evaluate a significant experience, achievement, risk you have taken, or ethical dilemma you have faced and its impact on you.
- Discuss some issue of personal, local, national, or international concern and its importance to you.
- Indicate a person who has had a significant influence on you, and describe that influence.
- Describe a character in fiction, a historical figure, or a creative work (as in art, music, science, etc.) that has had an influence on you, and explain that influence.
- A range of academic interests, personal perspectives, and life experiences adds much to the educational mix. Given your personal background, describe an experience that illustrates what you would bring to the diversity in a college community, or an encounter that demonstrated the importance of diversity to you.
- Topic of your choice.
Feel free to leave any comments or questions for me. Good luck.